Tropical Makeover Pt 5: Chief, Hazel, Tangy & Freckles

Making some more steady progress on my town's tropical makeover! This time I finished the landscaping for my villagers Chief, Hazel, Tangy, and Freckles. These are all original Tinytree residents, so a lot of their landscaping look quite similar to their older versions except for maybe the pathing being wider and differently styled. Some of my villagers definitely have more "expensive" front lawns compared to others, especially after rearranging a few of them allowed for a lot more space for PWPs. Some just lucked out with real estate during the makeover!




Before: Planning stage & Old Version

Tangy 


Once again, I planned the general layout of PWPs and bushes/trees with temporary patterns. Tangy's house area used to have a diagonal bridge that connected to the police station area but because I got rid of that bridge, it opened up a lot more space to work with. Tangy's house was planned for three PWPs. First was my classic combo from my old version, the Lighthouse and the yellow bench. The last one is a small PWP that fit next to her house in her "personal garden" area. 


Here's what Tangy's house looked like before. The light house and bench are almost in the exact position, except I pushed it back a bit so I could have a row of hibiscus bushes in front in the new version. Beau's house is also gone now and there's a bridge in his place. It's called the Beau Friendship Bridge. :'-D


Here's a photo of the old diagonal bridge I demolished. I also kept the same flower colour combinations in this area: reds, oranges, and yellows. It already had a sort of tropical theme going, with the hibiscus and multi-fruits. I eventually changed these to mainly Oranges and Pears to go with Freckles' house nearby. 




Freckles

I planned out the land where me, Pudge, Mei, Tangy, and Freckles lived very early on because the land had a lot of thin strips and small spaces that it was crucial I block it off completely so that no new villagers accidentally plot in that area. In this picture was an older version of my stone path which was actually just a recolour of one of my tiles used in the bathroom. I edited it further to look more like an outdoor stepping stone in the new version. 


Freckles' house was also relatively similar to my current version. The biggest change is that the main path used to be a horizontal path in front of her house where as now the main path goes behind her house. There was a small dirt path that lead to the log bench PWP. I kept the same PWP in the new version but it's pushed a little further back so there's no space for extra trees/bamboo behind it.

Chief


There was not much planning involved in Chief's area as it was relatively straight forward. So here a picture of Chief's previous house landscaping. In the older version, the 1sq dirt path was lined by brown cut bamboo and olive starts. In the newer version, I widened the path to a 2sq path but other than that, it leads straight up to Eggs' house and Retail like in the previous version. The log bench used to be right in front of his house, whereas now it's a bit to the side. 

Hazel


Hazel's house also didn't have much planning involved. I wanted to keep the same idea of giving her the apple orchard for my perfect apples, but give it more space for a walkaway. In retrospect, I wish I didn't pick a map with a weird small sliver at the top and it was even worse when Hazel moved in and put her house there. I had to build a bridge from my mayor's house area to her house just so she wouldn't feel so alone, haha :'-D 

After: New Version

Tangy


Here's Tangy's new landscaping! As seen in previous posts, I continued the theme of giving a few villagers their own personal garden and "lawn" area surrounded by flowers. Tangy's house has an instrument shelter, which I thought would go well with the Lighthouse PWP that is in front of her house. Technically Tangy's landscaping is the most "expensive" out of all the villagers, although the Lighthouse can seen as more of a facility type building since Tangy is not really a Lighthouse keeper. Or is she?


Here's a view from the very edge of the cliff where the Lighthouse and yellow bench are placed! Almost in the same location as the previous version but pushed back a bit so there's room for the bushes. I always thought that the cliff edges feel a bit dangerous if there's no trees or bushes blocking it, even though we can't actually fall off, haha. 





A picture of a sitting angle. The paths basically surround all the PWPs with only the flowers placed on the edges. 




Here's a view from the edge where you can see the waterfall! The front facing waterfall is one of my favourite features in a New Leaf map. Both of my towns have front facing waterfalls. 







A few views of Tangy's house surrounded by Orange trees. You can also see the bridge where Beau used to live. My town isn't exactly zen themed, but I do have the zen bridge and zen town hall because I like the wood exteriors of that series. 

Freckles


Here's the new version of Freckles' house! Same as before, the area around Freckles and Mei's house have the pink and orange flower colour scheme which looks really nice with the yellow hibiscus bushes. I like how the yellow hibiscus has a warmer tone because I'm not a big fan of bright yellow flowers and it blends in nicely with most flower colours. 



Freckles has no "lawn" area with PWPs unlike most villagers. The closest thing is the log bench behind her house, although that's also shared with Mei's house so it's more like just a general seating area. She does have a little stump to sit on overlooking the beach below though!





Here's a view of the path way to Freckles' house! To the left is Tangy's house. The paths in this area are lined with fruits that match the house exterior or villager. The main colours of Mei's house are pink and there are a lot of pink flowers so Peaches are the main fruit. Freckles has Pear trees in front of her house to match her roof, although the Peach trees match her house as well! I love her exterior so much in general.


Here's what the view looks like from the log bench behind Freckles' and Mei's house. The moai statue is clearly seen from here. That area is the last part of town I'm working so the riverbank view might look different later on.

Chief 


Here's Chief's new landscaping! I'm so happy with the change to a 2sq path from the 1sq path because it did feel a little cramped to me. The clovers are all lucky clovers that I saved from my first version but there are still a lot of places that need clovers filled in. I'm going to be time travelling a lot in the next few days to fill in some of those areas with natural clovers.



Here's a glimpse of the windmill plaza area. The path breaks off from a solid path to an alternating clover path. The colours in Chief's area are also purely oranges and yellows while the plaza area and the back where Retail is has the regular multicoloured flowers.

Back view of Chief's house where Eggs lives and where Retail is.




Chief's house has a log bench and water pump as his personal landscaping. Actually, all villagers who have benches have the log bench with the exception of Stinky, who has a tire toy.

In my previous version there was a vertical path that connected Stinky's house to Chief's house instead of those mango trees blocking the way. I got rid of this path and made the connection through the windmill plaza so it separated the two a little better because their exteriors are so different. Here's what Chief's house looks like in the background from Stinky's house! I like the distinct colour change from blue to yellows. It looks separated and different yet still in the tropical theme. It was hard to mix those two colours in my autumn forest version. 

Hazel


Finally, here's Hazel's house! Mostly similar, except the pathway is more accommodating. Instead of 2-lines of trees, there's only a line of perfect apples in the back and a few at the front. I didn't want to put too many trees at the front because I didn't want to block the path. Hazel's house is on the very right of the map right behind the water fall, so she has a really prime view!


There used to be a scarecrow in this area but I got rid of that because it was just taking up too much space and I couldn't find a good way to fit it in the new version. I moved the log bench over to the middle of the trees so it's a little scenic sitting area for apple pickers.


Hazel's area is the only part of town that has black flowers. This area and a small walkway near my mayor's house are the only parts with red hibiscus bushes, the rest of town has yellow hibiscus. The red feels a bit too dark for the majority of my town so I'm glad that Hazel's house is so isolated. It really feels like a whole different area.

That's all for now! Although my town is mostly "done" at least with PWPs and everything placed in their right locations, I am temporarily covering my town in ugly patterns to force some clovers to grow in specific areas. I will post my progress on that soon. It's going to involve a lot of time travelling and patience but hopefully it wont take too long!